During the month of September, the Palm Beach County Parks and Recreation Department (PBC Parks) participated in the national Parks for Pollinators BioBlitz campaign, which is aimed at raising public awareness about the importance of pollinators and the role parks play in advancing pollinator health and native habitat.Continue reading More than 1,300 Observations and 600 Species Recorded During PBC Parks for Pollinators BioBlitz
Tag Archives: Food
Have a family picnic in a #pbcPark!
Picnicking is a great family activity! It’s a great opportunity to get away from the traditional setting of a dinner table and head out to a natural environment.
Benefits of picnicking:
- Spend time outdoors in a serene setting: being outdoors has been proven to boost moods, reduce stress levels, and improve overall mental wellness. This is a chance for you and your family to be away from the stresses of every day life and enjoy a natural setting.
- Bond with family members: because many people live fast-paced lifestyles, there aren’t many opportunities to slow down and spend meaningful time with the people who matter. Play games, get up and walk, or simply sit still and bond over a good meal.
- Communicate more effectively: small talk, or even deep conversations, are essential to any good picnic. Head out and learn more about what’s going on with your family members – whether it’s school, work or friends – this is a great opportunity to connect with the people you care about and encourage effective communication skills in kids.
- Develop healthy eating habits: instead of buying a pre-made meal to enjoy on a picnic, try preparing a meal for your next picnic trip. Meals prepared at home are typically healthier and more nutritious than pre-made meals. Make sure you include all the basics for a full, healthy meal.
- Encourage active lifestyles: having group or family picnics consistently can allow families to form traditions that are passed down from generation to generation; make picnics a habit and turn it into an outing! Bring supplies for games like tug-of-war, soccer or football and encourage the kids to get up before eating to fit in some physical activity during the picnic.
Where to picnic at #pbcParks:
Picnic areas are available at no charge from sunrise until sunset on a first-come, first-served basis at the following park locations. Visit this page fore a list of all picnicking locations in our parks: http://discover.pbcgov.org/parks/Amenities/Picnicking.aspx.
Check out municipal parks in or near your town or city for additional picnicking locations.
Note: please do not feed wild or stray animals. Animals that are fed can become aggressive and harass people. Wild or stray animals can become extremely territorial and bite the hand that feeds them. This can transmit disease. Animals that become used to human contact are susceptible to disease, injury, and random acts of violence. The survival skills of wild animals are threatened when they lose the ability to forage naturally for food. This can happen when they are fed by hand or when they eat food left out for stray or abandoned pets. Stray animals hunt and kill native wildlife, even when well fed.
Destination Recreation 4: Amphitheaters
Welcome to the fourth episode of Destination Recreation! We take you through different Palm Beach County parks and facilities in each episode – giving you a unique peek at what you can experience at our more than 80 locations throughout the County.
On this episode, we introduce you to the three different amphitheaters operated by PBC Parks throughout Palm Beach County. There’s Sunset Cove Amphitheater in Burt Aaronson South County Regional Park in Boca Raton, Canyon Amphitheater in Canyon District Park in Boynton Beach, and Seabreeze Amphitheater in Carlin Park in Jupiter. These amphitheaters are home to family-friendly events like concerts, movie nights, Fourth of July Celebrations, 5Ks, food truck events and more!
Don’t miss an episode – follow pbcParks on WordPress or subscribe to our YouTube channel to see each episode of Destination Recreation, which is released monthly.
We make the quality of life for Palm Beach County residents and visitors better by providing diverse, safe and affordable recreation services, welcoming parks, and enriching social and cultural experiences. We achieve this by promoting wellness, fostering environmental stewardship, contributing economic value, and by improving our community every day for this and future generations.
For more opportunities for healthy, happy living, visit pbcParks.com.
Weekly Events in #pbcParks
There’s always something to do in #pbcParks! Palm Beach County’s more than 80 parks and recreation facilities are constantly hosting events and activities for families to enjoy. In addition to large events at select locations, facilities host events that are repeated weekly or monthly. Check out some of these exciting events that are regularly happening inside #pbcParks!
Food Truck Events
Every Wednesday, Sunset Cove Amphitheater hosts a Food Truck Invasion night that’s perfect for a family outing. The event features a huge outdoor picnic with a large collection of Food Trucks on site! Event time is 5:00–9:00 pm. Lawn chairs and blankets are welcome.
Movie Nights & Concerts
PBC Parks operates three amphitheaters throughout the county that regularly host concerts and movie nights at their venues. Families and friends can come out to dance, or lay a blanket down and relax while watching a movie under the stars.
Schedules for each event can be found here: http://discover.pbcgov.org/parks/amphitheaters/Pages/default.aspx
Nature Centers & Riverbend Park
Okeeheelee, Daggerwing and Green Cay Nature Centers, as well as Riverbend Park, regularly host nature-themed events for all ages at each facility. Some examples of events include guided paddles, birding tours, tai chi classes, night walks, animal feedings and more. Program Guides for each facility, organized by month, can be found on pbcParks.com.
Head to one of six pools and aquatic centers to practice lap swims, water aerobics, and other water-related activities. Monthly calendars are posted on the facility’s website – visit this link for a list of all pools and aquatic centers that #pbcParks operates: http://discover.pbcgov.org/parks/Amenities/Swimming-Pools.aspx
Visit one of #pbcParks five golf courses throughout the county for Happy Hour Scrambles, Ladies League and “All you can hit & play” events. Golf Courses operates a fun-packed calendar of events that can be found by visiting pbcgolf.com.
The Junior Golf Card program is aimed at growing the game of golf – the Junior Golf Card provides substantial benefits at a significantly discounted price by offering younger golfers with access to free golf, range balls and events. For more information about the Junior Golf Card program at PBC Park Golf Courses, visit this link: http://discover.pbcgov.org/parks/golf/Pages/Junior-Golf-Card-Program.aspx
For a list of monthly events, including special events that are happening in #pbcParks, be sure to sign up for Leisure Times Online. You’ll receive an email every month with a list of events that are happening in #pbcParks that month! Sign up here: https://tinyurl.com/yaz34b7a